Thousand & One Nights: 156th Night: The Barber Tells His Story - 5
My brother said to the lady, "My lady, give me an instant kiss." But hardly had he spoken, when the husband emerged from a room, saying, "Shame!. By God, I will not let you go until I deliver you to the chief of police. My brother kept imploring him, but he would not listen and carried him to the chief, who gave him hundred lashes and, mounting him on a camel, paraded him throughout the city, with a crier proclaiming, "This is the punishment of those who trespass upon other people's wives." Then the prefect banished him from the city, and he left not knowing where to go. But I went out after him and took care of him.
When he heard my story the Caliph laughed and said, "You have done well, O Silent one and man of few words!" and bade me take a gift and go away. But I said, "By God, O Commander of the Faithful, I will take nothing, unless I tell you what happened to my other brothers."
Night overtook, and Shahrazad lapsed into silence.
Comments