Thousand & One Nights: Seven: Three Brothers contd.
Shahrazad had been very busy throughout the day because merchants from far away places had come and she had to oversee matters connected with their stay and their well being. She was well aware of their contribution to the wealth of the kingdom. She knew that her father's sectarian view was not helpful in these matters. She had trained her sister in story telling, and limited herself to the introductory words.
O! Happy King! The story of the third old man continues:
:
For a month these very dogs, my brothers and I sailed the salty sea. We came to a port city. We entered the city. Sold the goods, earning ten dinars for every Dinar. We bought goods found cheap there and reached seashore to embark, when I met a girl in tatters. She kissed my hand and said, "O, my lord be charitable and do me a favour, and I believe that I shall be able to reward you for it." I replied, "I am willing to do you a favour regardless of any reward." She said, "O my lord, let me live with you. Clothe me, and take me home with you in this boat, for I wish to give myself to you. I in turn reward you for your kindness and charity. Don't be misled by my poverty and present condition."
I felt pity towards her. Besides she was very attractive, though she was not of our noble stock. I consented. Clothed her with expensive dress and took home to my boat, and slept with her. We sailed many days and nights, and I neglected my brothers, and these very dogs, grew jealous of us living together, and were envious of my growing wealth. They covetted all my possessions. At last they decided to betray me, and tempted by the devil they plotted to kill me. They waited until I was asleep beside my wife, then carried the two of us, and threw us into sea.
When I awoke my wife was turned into a she-demon, and carried me out of sea into an island. In the morning she said, "Master, I have rewarded you. I have saved you from drowning. I am one of the demon, and I hid my identity by because I loved you. Now I am going to kill your brothers."
"I was amazed, but I don't want my brothers to be killed," said I. Then I related her my experience with my own brothers. She was angry. "I shall fly to them, drown their boat and perish them."
"For God's sake, don't. Remember the proverb, 'Be kind to those who hurt you.' No matter what, they are my brothers." In this manner, I entreated and pacified her. She took me and flew away with me. She put me down on the roof of my house. I climbed down, threw the doors of my house open, and dug up the money I had buried. Then I went out greeting people in the market, reopened my shop. When I came home in the evening, I found these two dogs tied up, and when they saw me, they came to me, wept, and rubbed themselves against me. I started, when I heard suddenly heard my wife say, "O my lord, these are your brothers."
"Who did this to them?" I asked.
"I did this. They will stay in this condition for ten years, after which they may be delivered." Then she told me where to find her and departed. Ten years have passed, and I was with my brothers on my way to her, to have the spell lifted. This is my story. Isn't it amazing?
The demon replied, "By God, it is strange and amazing. I grant you one third of my claim on him for his guilt."
Then the third old man said, "Demon, don't disappoint me. If I told you a story, that is stranger and more amazing than the first two would you give me one third of your claim on him for his crime?" The demon replied, "I will."
The old man said, "Then listen."
The break of dawn. The story telling comes to an end. The king was not bothered of his ritual killings.
End of the Section
Notes:-
"Be kind to those who hurt you."
The third old man's wisdom shows the historic evolution of the message of love propogated by Jesus. It is a challenging but ultimately rewarding process .
Comments