Thousand & One Nights: 151st Night: Lame Young Man & Baghdad Barber -13
I kept running while the barber chasing me behind, claiming that he had saved me from the crowd. Then he asked, "My lord where do you want to go now? If God has not sent me to you, you would not have escaped destruction at their hands. No one else could have saved you. How long can I live to protect you? By God you have nearly undone me by your desire and foolish decision to go alone. I will not reproach you for your foolishness. You are rash and ignorant."
He was not satisfied with what he had inflicted on me, and kept pursuing me with shouts through the streets of Baghdad. I lost my patience and in my fury and helplessness took refuge in a caravanserai in the market and sought the protection of its owner, who finally drove the barber away. I sat in one of the shops and thought about myself. If I go home, this nuisance, the barber will be there. He will be pestering around me day and night. I can't stand even the sight of him. Dirty fellow!
I sent out at once for witnesses and made a will dividing the greater part of my wealth among my family, and appointed a guardian over them, bidding him sell the house, and be in charge of the old and the young. To escape this pander, the barber, I left my native city and came to this city. I have been living here for sometime.
Now you have invited me to the recitation of Quran, and I came here, and I see the cursed Barber seated in the place of honour.
Here ended the lame young man's version of the story.
But the members of the audience at the recitation of Quran wanted to have the version of the barber. Barber was ready to present his story.
But the morning overtook and Shahrazad lapsed into silence.
Comments