Travels Of Marco Polo: Forty Nine

After leaving Ca-cian-fu, I travelled westward for eight days, through cities, castles, among merchandise, and arts, pleasure grounds and houses, mulberry and silk.  Men live by labouring on ground, hunting and Hawking.  At the end of eighth day I came to the noble city of Quen-gian-fu, capital of an ancient magnificent kingdom.  A powerful kingdom of nobles and valiant kings.  At present the crown is held by Mangalu, a son of the great Khan.  The city is rich in merchandise, especially implements for the supply to army, and merchandise of general character for the subsistence of man.  The people are idolators. The beautiful palace of Mangalu is at the western side of the city. I lies in a great plain on the banks of a river. Also many lakes and fountains.  A wall five miles in circuit, surrounded with battlement, and well-built encloses, splendid edifice having halls and chambers adorned with beaten gold. Mangalu exercises his dominion with great justice, and is much loved by his people. The residents in the district enjoy hawking and hunting.

Comments

Popular Posts